Saturday, December 3, 2011

Liefmans Oud Bruin (I think)



Yeah, I know, starting out the blog with a beer I'm only 90% sure on the name; not a great start. But hey, it was only a 1 oz sample and it was three days ago. After scouring the beer list at Flying Saucer Sugarland, I'm pretty sure this was the one I tried.



I mentioned to the bartender that I'd never had a sour beer, but that I couldn't imagine liking one; it didn't sound like me. I tend to like rich beer, tending towards ambers, browns and seasonals. He walked off and returned with a sample, saying, "I don't care for it, but you may as well try."



The color was a rich, transparent burgundy with a slight off-white head which fizzled away leaving minimal lace. The nose was like sour cherry candy; very sweet and made me crinkle my nose. Surprisingly I enjoyed the aroma. The palate had a very clear cherry note, tickling my tongue like a sparkling wine. The finish was sweet, though not cloying. It actually reminded me quite a bit of a lambic, which I rarely enjoy.



All things considered I enjoyed it, but I can't imagine wanting an entire pint of it. I am now officially curious about the world of sour beers, where before I had not desire to even try. Thank you, bartender Joe, for insisting I taste before I judge.

No comments:

Post a Comment